Monday, June 7, 2010

Section Three ~ Keep Your Spirits Up

Part One: How To Earn Maximum Returns On Your Liquid Assets

Section Three ~ Keep Your Spirits Up

Keeping my home bar “stocked” has always been difficult for me, as I can rationalize an excuse to have a celebratory drink every day. Liquor tends to deplete at a rapid pace. So, I think this section will help me keep my bar both logical and topped up.

Mario says there are three liquors that one should always keep on hand to satisfy the quench of most 20th century men: whisky, gin and vermouth. These three liquids are enough to make the classic highball, Manhattan and Martini. However, the three alcohols turn into more like seven when you consider that you need two kinds of vermouth, sweet and dry, and four kinds of whiskey (American blended, bourbon, Scotch and Canadian). And if you have lots of different friends with diverse drinking needs, it wouldn’t hurt to throw in a bottle of vodka and rum.

Now that we are into the 21st century this is probably still true. Drinks go through fads, like most things, but the classics are always standard. My own needs haven’t progressed beyond the holy trinity that much, I would just add tequila in there. Mario understands that most hosts will figure out what drinks are popular amongst their crowd and stock alcohol accordingly. For example, I know my circle well enough to know that I should always keep a quart of Tullamore Dew on hand.

Once you are comfortable with your basic set up, you can branch out. If your normal gin is an American one, you might consider buying a British brand on your next trip to the store. Or perhaps you’ll buy that delicious new coffee liqueur you’ve been reading about. But it’s warned that spending a lot of money on alcohol should only happen if you feel your “connoisseurship qualifies you to judge them appreciatively.” That makes sense to me. I would hate to drop the pretty penny on my favourite vanilla-infused Cognac, Navan, only to have a guest mix it with Coke. I might cry.

Some people might consider stocking bottles of pre-mixed cocktails. This isn’t considered a faux pas really, but you should only stock the ones that don’t have a fruit base to them, as they will never taste better, or even as good as, the fresh mixed one. Personally, I love mixing drinks and I would never serve somebody a pre-mixed concoction…though I may take one to a barbeque.

Another thing to remember about your bar, keep it accessible to you. Keep things readily available. If you have extras to stash away, stash them close by so that you don’t have to hunt them down while guests are over.

I was left wondering about wine…what about wine? But this section ended with “Filling a wine rack or a wine cellar is a separate avocation dealt with under chapter 15.” Phew.

No comments:

Post a Comment